Dafney Harper

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Birth Story

It all started on December 13th at 3:30am.  I woke up instantly when I felt this weird cramp in my lower stomach.  I thought I might need to "go to the bathroom" {if you know what I mean}, so I sat down on the toilet and a good amount of clear liquid came out.  I though, "huh, that was weird".  The thought of my water breaking crossed my mind, but I thought, nah it's too early.  So, I went back to bed.  17 minutes later, I woke up again with another "weird cramp" and again figured I just needed to use the bathroom.  And again, another "gush" of water came out, this time it was a pinkish color (sorry, TMI).  

This time it hit me that my water probably broke and I was officially in labor.  The weird thing was that I was really calm.  I walked into the bedroom and woke up my Husband and said "I think my water broke, what should we do"?  He told me to call the Dr., so I did.  A couple minutes later, the Dr. called me back and I explained what had happened.  She said it sounded like my water had indeed broken and that I should come in, bring my bags and plan on having  a baby soon.   

WOW, this was really happening...I told my Husband what she said and he said "do you mind if I jump in the shower quick?"; I told him it was fine, but to sort of hurry.

{I mean, I was in labor for gosh sakes}.  

As he showered, I frantically ran around the house throwing things into our hospital bag, which I had only half packed thinking we had plenty of time to pack the rest that upcoming weekend.  

The contractions were coming about every 8-9 minutes or so, but they were starting to feel intense enough to where I'd had to stop walking when I had one.  But, it wasn't to bad.  After my Husband showered, he had to send an email to his boss quick letting him know that he wouldn't be into work - by this time I was ready to go and I may have snapped at him for writing what seemed like a novel to his boss.  

About 45 minutes after I had initially woken up, we were off to the Hospital.  I don't remember the car ride all that well as the contractions were coming closer together and starting to intensify.  By the time we got into the Hospital, checked in and into a room, my contractions were coming TWO minutes apart...and they FREAKING HURT.  

Thankfully my amazing husband was there by my side and kept bringing me cold towels to put on my head (the pain was so intense I thought I was going to pass out...not what you want to do when you're about to birth a child).  

My Nurse came in to see how far along I was and she found out the baby was breech.  I sort of started to panic, because I just wanted to make sure my baby was okay.  She said that I was already 5cm dilated and fully efaced.  She said I was moving fast and we would need to have a c-section.  She had another Nurse come into to confirm that baby was breech....she confirmed.  

However, because I was progressing so fast, the Dr. wanted to make certain and had them do an ultrasound to make 100% certain that baby was butt down.  Shortly after, the ultrasound came in and it showed the baby was breech (I don't really remember this because I was in so much pain).  They said we'd be having a c-section, so I had to sign some forms.  I have no clue what I was signing, or if I was even signing my name (seriously, for all I know, I could have been signing away my baby), but what seemed like hours and hours later, they finally wheeled me into the OR.  

They had me sit up and let me tell you, when you're having contractions, sitting up is nearly impossible.  But, I had to sit up so they could give me the spinal.   


FINALLY they gave me the spinal and I felt nothing...it was pretty much A-MAZING!  I laid down and they brought in my Husband.  It was a relief to see him.  He sat down next to me and held my hand.  And, before we knew it, we had our baby girl!  

She was born at 7:33am.  When I heard her cry it was by and far the most amazing sound I've ever heard in my entire life!  

The worst part of a c-section is the fact that I couldn't hold my daughter right away or even see her.  I could hear them say she weighed 6lbs 2 ounces and I could hear them talking to Kyle, but otherwise, I had no clue what was going on.  

Kyle brought Dafney over to see me, but I could barely see her through all the tears {of JOY of course}.  She looked perfect, but before I had a chance to stare at her every feature, Kyle took her out of the OR room into a recovery type room.  

I had to lay there for another 45ish minutes while the Dr. put me back together.  When they were done, they wheeled me into a recovery room next to where Kyle was.  I could hear Kyle and hear Dafney crying and it was so tough not to see them.  

Finally, the Nurse asked if I wanted to see Dafney and I said HELL"YES".  So, Kyle brought her over and put her on my chest....finally I was able to hold & see my baby girl!  It was so worth the wait {and all the pain}.  

I was in awe of how precious she truly was.  And, I still couldn't believe she was here - 2 and a half weeks early.  It is by far the best Christmas present I will ever get!  
I promise to write more about the Hospital stay, our first night at home and Dafeny's first week of life (I can't believe she's a week old already....she's growing up too fast), but for now, I'm going to go snuggle up with my little one! 

1 comment:

  1. YESSS!!! I was hoping you'd post something like this!!! I can only imagine what those contractions felt like.... Ish.... But I'm so glad you're doing great and Dafeny is healthy!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to read more about the hospital stay and her first week!!!!