Wednesday, August 13, 2014

challenge update + Easy Mexican Skillet Recipe

Happy HUMP day, friends!

Just a quick update on my THREE challenges from the week

BeachBody August Challenge:
So far it’s going well and I’m following the workout schedule and having a shake daily!  My shake has consisted of 1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 banana, handful of fresh raspberries, a couple spoonfulls of Greek Yogurt and my Shakeology protein powder.  I LOVE them!  I usually have it around 6:40ish and finish it by the time I get into work a bit after 7am.  


It keeps me full until 10ish and then I HAVE to have a snack.  My usual mid-morning snack is a KIND bar.  It’s healthy and is plenty to keep me full until lunch around noon.  In the afternoon I tend to have some apple slices or even another KIND bar if I’m craving something sweet.  Dinner has been pretty healthy.  I made a really great dinner on Monday {recipe below} – in fact I even won with said meal in my 2nd challenge!  At night I might have a handful of popcorn or cereal.  I’ve been working out at night and am keeping up with my PiYo workouts!  I absolutely have loved the Strength Intervals and the TurboFire Low 20 HIIT workouts!  They are amazing!  So far so good on this challenge!

7 Day Healthy Photo Challenge:
This has been a really FUN challenge put on by Katie!  Each day there is a new “healthy theme” and we post pictures, etc. on FB. 
Monday = Balanced Plate: I made a butternut squash/black bean skillet…and my picture/meal WON! 



Tuesday = Sweat Challenge: I went for a nice walk with the family and then did PiYo Strength Interval workout…I was definitely a sweaty mess after PiYo!



Wednesday = Water Challenge: I downloaded the app: Waterlogged.  You can set daily water intake goals and even set up reminders to help you keep on track! 


Excited to see what tomorrow’s challenge will be!!

5 Day Clean Eating Challenge:
Alright, this has been my hardest challenge.  I wasn’t very prepared when it started and admittedly, I’ve not done well.  I’m trying to eat clean, but it’s much harder than I thought.  Last night Dafney had a carnival at school and they had dinner for everyone.  I realized that though things might seem healthy, they are definitely NOT clean.  Other than the veggie tray, there wasn’t a single thing I could eat there that was “clean”.  Well, I’m not giving up, I just realized I have a LONG way to go before I can consider myself a clean eater {if ever} and have a TON to learn about clean foods.



Easy Mexican Skillet


4 cups butternut squash, diced
1 – 1 ½ cups of shredded chicken {I used some leftover baked chicken}
1 15oz can reduced sodium Black Beans, rinsed
1 red pepper. diced
½ medium onion, diced
1 10oz can of red {or green} enchilada sauce
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ cup of cheese {Mexican, Colby Jack…whatever kind you have on hand}


Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a small {~1 tsp.} amount of Olive Oil.  Once the oil is warm, add the butternut squash, chicken, red pepper and onion.  Let cook until the squash is for tender.  Add the cumin & chili powder and let sit another minute.  Add in the beans, cheese and enchilada sauce.  Let heat for 3-4 minutes and ENJOY!

Have a great day!

2 comments: